Wednesday, May 9, 2012

mAyKB48 (8/48): Ono Erena- First 推しメン

When Amanda and I first started getting into AKB, we watched all kinds of videos to get a feel for what the group was about and to try and pick out our favorites. My first 推しメン began as a sort of knee-jerk reaction. I felt I needed someone to call my favorite and picked the cutest girl I saw. Little did I know that at the time Ono Erena was actually on her way out of AKB.


Erena was part of the second generation of AKB, joining Team K when it first formed in 2006. She remained there until her graduation from the group in 2010. Wishing to become an actress, she originally planned to move to England to study. The trip never happened and Erena chose instead to pursue a solo career. Her first single is set to be released this summer.


I took notice of Erena when she was actively studying English for her big move. As an English teacher in Japan, this naturally piqued my interest. Surprisingly, I can't find anything online where she speaks English, though I know she was regularly given the English parts of songs during stage performances. I would assume she pursued English more out of necessity than out of an interest in the language. 


Like Sae, Erena spends part of her introduction video showing the gifts and letters that she's received from fans. She also shows off some of her drawings. Erena combines a lot of the qualities I like about other members, but doesn't express them as strongly. She has a few anime that she enjoys, but has never struck me as a hardcore fan. She also clearly loves acting and singing. Unfortunately, I've only seen her in her role in Majisuka Gakuen. Her character only appears for the last few episodes, but she played her part convincingly. Another of her hobbies is photography, which she shares every week on her Nico Nico Douga show. 


Erena may not shine in one category over my other favorites, but there is something about your first 推しメン that makes them hard to let go. Erena is the only AKB member whose blog I regularly read. I'm a member of her official fan club and watch her weekly videos. I'm also really excited about her upcoming single. Her voice has grown amazingly strong over the years. She also wrote the lyrics for her debut song, which I appreciate.


My support of Erena shows that fans' support of their 推しメン need not stop once they leave AKB. If anything, I'm even more interested in seeing where she goes as an independent artist and (hopefully) actress. 

Now, enjoy these pictures of Erena with my other 推しメン:

Erena ans Sae

Erena and Yuka

Of course, Yuki and Mayu are in the same picture.

1 comment:

  1. I share your liking of Erena, she has a certain special quality which I can't describe!

    ReplyDelete