Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Origami A Day 9: Guilon

Today's model is another from the kaiju origami site I visited last week. I used a piece of blue 5 7/8 inch Fold'ems paper. I may regret that decision as the model is a bit thicker than I thought it would be.

Guilon, or Guiron, is a monster from the movie Gamera Vs. Guiron. A Showa era Gamera film, I've gathered that it is a rather silly movie. However, Guilon is infamous in certain circles due in part to his incredibly violent run-in with Space Gyaos, whom he summarily dismembers with his giant blade face. Keep in mind this is a film for kids.


I've already voiced my displeasure and confusion over the photo directions on this origami site, so I won't bother rehashing them all here. I will say that it took me three tries to get past the first page of directions and my first two attempts now reside in pieces in my trashcan. However, I wanted to make this model very badly and persevered, more or less. I probably put in a good two and a half hours getting this folded.


Somewhere near the end of the instructions I completely lost what was being asked of in the directions and had to improvise a bit. I think it came out looking fairly good, though there is a problem...


My Guilon can't stand up. He just lays down very sadly. The layers inside the front half of the model push everything out and my legs aren't sturdy enough to stay in place. Had I used the thinner Suisai paper, this might not have been an issue. 


I like the pattern on the blade. Though it might not be accurate to the character, it does a good job of imitating a the tempered line of a sword.


What is remarkably accurate are the legs. Guilon moved around most of the time on his hands and knees. I appreciate the detail put into the model to reflect this.


He doesn't look too bad on a sloped surface.


Wish I could have folded one at the same scale as my Godzilla and Mecha Godzilla, but I won't be attempting this model again anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I stuck a penny in the back of mine to make him stand (kneel) properly. Sad to see that the original kaiju origami website that it came from is gone, and I never screen capped the instructions. https://flic.kr/p/8oUHcf

    ReplyDelete